MENSA Word Contest
I like these lists.
I don't have a direct link. I received this via a forwarded email. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Some of these are quite clever. My comments are in color.
The Washington Post's MENSA Invitational once again asked readers to take any word from the dictionary, alter it by adding, subtracting or changing one letter and supply a new definition.
Here are the 2005 winners:
1. Intaxication--Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with (I've had this feeling)
2. Reintarnation--Coming back to life as a hillbilly (I think I know a lot of people that fit this)
3. Bozone--The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down. (Unfortunately, I know lots of these)
4. Foreploy--Any misrepresentation of yourself for the purpose of "getting some"
5. Cashtration--The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period (I think Mrs Echo9er and I suffered from this one)
6. Giraffiti--Vandalism spray painted very, very high
7. Sarchasm--The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it (The lights are on, but . . .)
8. Inoculatte--To take coffee intravenously when you are running late (Yeah!!!!)
9. Hipatitis--Terminal coolness
10. Osteopornosis--A degenerate disease
11. Karmageddon--It's like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's, like, a serious bummer
12. Decafalon--The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you (I get really bad headaches when I try this)
13. Glibido--All talk and no action
14. Dopeler effect--The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly (See #3 and #7)
15. Arachnoleptic fit--The frantic dance performed just after you've accidentally walked through a spider web (Mrs Echo9er and Daughter Ech9er do this)
16. Beelzebug--Satan in the form of a mosquito that gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out (Especially on hot night with no air circulating. The dogs don't like it either)
18. Caterpallor--the color you turn after finding half a worm in the fruit you're eating
And the pick of the literature:
19. Ignoranus--A person who'e both stupid and an a**hole (I know some of these as well)