< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://echo9er.blogspot.com" > Echo9er: Happy Mother's Day

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Mother's Day

Via Day for Mothers


Mother's Day History

The history of Mother's Day is centuries old and goes back to the times of ancient Greeks, who held festivities to honor Rhea, the mother of the gods. The early Christians celebrated the Mother's festival on the fourth Sunday of Lent to honor Mary, the mother of Christ. Interestingly, later on a religious order stretched the holiday to include all mothers, and named it as the Mothering Sunday. The English colonists settled in America discontinued the tradition of Mothering Sunday because of lack of time. In 1872 Julia Ward Howe organized a day for mothers dedicated to peace. It is a landmark in the history of Mother's Day.

In 1907, Anna M. Jarvis (1864-1948), a Philadelphia schoolteacher, began a movement to set up a national Mother's Day in honor of her mother, Ann Maria Reeves Jarvis. She solicited the help of hundreds of legislators and prominent businessmen to create a special day to honor mothers. The first Mother's Day observance was a church service honoring Anna's mother. Anna handed out her mother's favorite flowers, the white incarnations, on the occasion as they represent sweetness, purity, and patience. Anna's hard work finally paid off in the year 1914, when President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the second Sunday in May as a national holiday in honor of mothers.

Slowly and gradually the Mother's day became very popular and gift giving activity increased. All this commercialization of the Mother's day infuriated Anna as she believed that the day's sentiment was being sacrificed at the expense of greed and profit.

Regardless of Jarvis's worries, Mother's Day has flourished in the United States. Actually, the second Sunday of May has become the most popular day of the year. Although Anna may not be with us but the Mother's day lives on and has spread to various countries of the world. Many countries throughout the world celebrate Mother's Day at various times during the year, but some such as Denmark, Finland, Italy, Turkey, Australia, and Belgium also celebrate Mother's Day on the second Sunday of May.

An interesting history depicting the struggle and honor for Mother's. As I think of Mother's day, I want to reflect on the Mom's that have influenced me.

My Mother, Jeanne Louise Harper. A strong willed woman who survived growing up during WW II in Belgium. Who would go out with others boys and girls and steal and smuggle bread to bring home to survive. Always in fear of the Germans and what would happen to them if they were caught. My Father met her during the war. They were married in 1946 and for the next 40 plus years lived and raised me, my brother and were grandparents to our children. My Mother taught me strength of conviction and taught me family values that I hope have passed on to my own children.

My Wife Cauleen, who for the past 36 years, has stood by me and given me strength and love. The Mother of our 2 children and now the Grandmother of our daughter's first child. Cauleen has stood by me through my almost 30 year US Army career; my absences due to Wars, Field Exercises, Extended Temporary Duties, and other prolonged ventures. She has stood by and understood the missing of Birthdays, Anniversaries, school plays, and all those other things that a Soldier misses because of service to Country. She has been my strength, and continues to be today.

D'Annette (Dee), our Daugther, and now a Mother. She just celebrated her 1st Mother's Day, and we are so proud. I only hope and pray that Cauleen and I have instilled the values that come from so many years of motherly nurturing. Emily Rose is such a blessing for Dee and Iain. Dee has provided me the opportunity to be a Father, a really great joy, and to pass on the teaching of Jeanne, with the help of Cauleen, to provide her the basis for what Emily will need in a most challenging future.

So with that, I want to wish Jeanne, now long departed, Cauleen, my strength and love, and Dee, my wonderful daughter and now a mother in her own right, a Wonderful Mother's Day. Thanks to all of them. I love you.

Signing Off. Until next time, I'll see ya on the Blog! drh.