< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://echo9er.blogspot.com" > Echo9er: Catalog Sales Shipping Practices - A Mild Rant

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Catalog Sales Shipping Practices - A Mild Rant

I called to place a catalog order today. The company name is unimportant. The common policy of all catalog sales companies needing a "physical address" to ship to, is.

I called to place an order for a product -- $142.00 worth. We went through the usual name, billing address, catalog key #, etc. I provided the required credit card information, then gave the item number.

I was told I needed to provide a "physical address" for shipping since UPS won't deliver to a PO Box. I asked if the company was going to pay shipping. No, they weren't. I told them if I had to pay shipping, then I wanted the order shipped to my PO Box. There was no comprimise. I cancelled to order and asked to be removed from their mailing list.

Here is my view on this. If a customer calls any company to place a catalog order, it is the customer's right to ship wherever they want, ESPECIALLY if the customer must pay shipping.

I would not have had such an issue if this company were to pay the shipping, but they would not. Therefore, if shipping is on me, then ship it where I want it shipped. PERIOD.

Don't give me the party line about insurance, etc. You can still use the USPS, insure the package, require signatures at delivery, etc, and still satisfy the customer. DO NOT assume that I want anything shipped to the so-called physical address. If I wanted anything sent there, the address you would have on file to send me the catalog would not be a PO Box.

That's it. I've decided that if a company requires me to pay shipping, and does not want to ship to my PO Box, then I don't need what they offer.

Signing Off. Until next time, I'll see ya on the Blog! drh.