< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://echo9er.blogspot.com" > Echo9er: Memories brought back, thanks to Joe

Monday, July 11, 2005

Memories brought back, thanks to Joe

As I was reading a few of the Military Related Blogs out there, I ran across this post over at From My Position . . . On the Way.

There was enough in this post to remind me of a time long ago, and I had to post the following comment:

Joe.

Great post. Part of what you wrote hit home and brought back many memories:

"Today I saw my friend in a hospital bed in pain.
Today as we drove around Walter Reed I saw men on crutches, mending wounds.
Today I saw men who were missing an arm or a leg or both.
Today I saw a portion of what it costs others, so that I and people like me, can sit in my comfy chair and bitch about the price of gas. So that I don't have to worry about explosions in my back yard or if the car behind me is full of C4"


There was a time in 1969-1970 that I was in some advanced (beyond AIT) medical training at Fort Sam Houston, TX.

The "Beach Pavilion" was where all the orthopedic cases were cared for. Back then, patients that were "ambulatory" were required to wear what was called convalescentt Pajamas." These were a heavy cotton material in dark blue.

Everyday at mealtime, we would see the "Blue Line" come down for chow. The line usually extended well past the entrance doors. As you soeloquentlyy said, I saw men with their arms missing and in various stages ofprostheticc limbs, legs the same. Massive injuries that required numerous plastic surgeries, crutches, wheelchairs, Men walking with IV poles and IV's running.

I will never forget the "Blue Line," nor those men that I later cared for on the wards, and later "In Country." I continued that care after returning.

Thanks for the post and the reminder that we are here for a greater good. I shall link it to my blog, along with these thoughts.

There's not much more to say. The post is good. The memories are still vivid. Cauleen and I met at the "Beach." We made some VERY good friends in that Blue Line. Some recovered and went back to Viet Nam, many more were medically discharged. Over time, Cauleen and I lost track of those men, but we never lost the memories.